The Budget Formulation and Program
Analysis Division is the focal point for budget formulation and
associated planning activities within the National Weather Service.
The Division is also the organization’s focal point for performance
and programmatic evaluation.
Specific responsibilities include the following:
- Manages NWS’ process for identifying and acquiring budgetary
- Develops and formulates requests, justifications, and supporting
documentation for the annual budget submissions to NOAA,
DOC, OMB, and Congress.
- Coordinates NWS activities related to the Congressional
Budget process, including tracking legislation, preparing
appeal statements, preparing and presenting budget briefings,
and developing written testimony and responses to Congressional
- Tracks agency funding levels and provides for the proper
allocation and control of all budgetary resources as required
by relevant statutes, regulations, and guidance.
- Performs analyses of various project proposals, budget
changes, and legislation.
- Manages NWS’ programmatic and performance assessment processes.
- Leads the periodic program review and assessment, including
periodic quad charts and internal program reviews to ensure
integration with overall budget and strategic plans.
- Coordinates, tracks, and reports upon the NWS Annual Operating
- Coordinates the establishment and reporting of performance
evaluation methods, performance metrics, and performance-based
- Contributes toward program analyses to support the planning,
budget, and resource management functions.
- Contributes toward the monitoring and evaluation of program
- Manages the integration of financial, property, and human resources
information to support managerial decisions.
- Supports NWS and NOAA strategic planning and outreach.
- Provides direct budgetary assistance to NOAA’s PPBES process.
- Tracks the Five-Year Program Plans.
- Assists NWS in the strategic planning cycle and the production
of planning outputs.
- Supports NWS’ Corporate Board, Investment Assessment Team,
Operations and Services Improvement Process and Congressional
- Arranges, coordinates, and tracks Congressional, OMB, and
other staff site visits and briefings.
- Coordinates, reviews and tracks Congressional Reports mandated
by Appropriation Acts.