Name: Shapefile<->ASCII Converter
Description: This utility contains tools to convert from a polygon or polyline shapefile
to an ASCII format and vice versa. There is an option forHFS (Hydro Users) to create the ASCII file
in HFS format. Due to differences between ArcView versions 3.0 and 3.1 and higher, there are
versions for both versions.
Download Compressed Extension for Arcview 3.0
users (7,214 bytes).
Download Compressed Extension for Arcview 3.1
or higher users (7,953 bytes).
Name: CitiesInfo/Shapefile Converter
Description: This utility will convert CitiesInfo.txt to and from a shapefile. This
tool will be primarily for AWIPS users to update and maintain their Cities
Dataset. This extension requires Arcview 3.1 or higher.
Download Compressed Extension (7,758
Name: AWIPS Spotter/Shapefile Converter
Description: This utility will convert a Spotter goodness file to and from a shapefile.
This tool will be primarily for AWIPS users to update and maintain their
Spotters Dataset. This extension requires Arcview 3.1 or higher.
Download Compressed Extension (37,090
Shapefile Utilities - AVTOOLS
This utility contains tools to:
Convert polygon shapefiles to polyline shapefiles
Convert polyline shapefiles to polygon shapefiles
Add the centroid of polygon to a polygon shapefile or compute the
lat/lon fields of a point data shapefile
"Explode" a multiple shape polygon into its componet parts
Split a polygon using a polyline from a polyline theme
"Dissolve polygons into single polygons for attributes with equal value
Download Compressed Extension (12,203
Name: Radar Climatology shapefile creator
Description: This utility creates radar coverage shapefiles from MPE radar climatology files.
Please note: Although this utility has been written in Avenue for ArcView 3.x, there are Windows executables with ththis package so that this utility can only successfully be run on a Windows box.
- Download utility and unzip to a separate folder (installation folder).
- Procure "msbin" files for radar(s) to plot and place these into the installation folder.
- Click on "radardensity.apr" in installation folder or use ArcView to open the project.
- Start program by clicking radar button at top right of view
- You will be prompte for the msbin file, the 4 charcter Radar Id and the radar location file. The radar location file is the same shapefile used in AWIPS (fsl_w88d). The current verion of the file has been provided (RadarLocs).
- A sample msbin file has been provided for LWX
General instructions for extensions
Download the zipped (compressed) utility/extension. It's suggested that a separate folder be created for
each utility downloaded. For those utilities called extensions:
- copy the folder contents to where ArcView 3.x "lives" ../esri/Av_gis30/Arcview/Ext32.
and unzip it.
Open Arcview if necessary.
From the File menu, choose "Extensions...".
Click on the box for the apprpriate Utility and click OK.
Click on your view or open a new view.
The tool menu/button item should now appear near the right side of the
- Help on the utility is available under the new menu/button as "Help".
Office of Science and Technology
Webmaster: Ira Graffman
Page last modified:
16 June 2005