NOAA / NWS's Meteorological Development Laboratory
Degrib (NDFD GRIB2 Decoder)
Subject: Degrib 1.65
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 12:08:33 -0500
From: Arthur Taylor
You all have the unique distinction of being registered on my degrib
(aka NDFD_GRIB2Decoder) mailing list (all 650 of us) (I'd like to
welcome: mquin, tomw, kriskrush, steve.cook, bbklee, heath_hockenberry,
tom_burns, tnott, nimbus, layesarr, jjdd, matt_tx00, colfe, zhuanshi,
sdebey, jernks, mhanna, curry1kc, john_comanzo, n9oew, brett.mcdonald,
vhornik, jon.goldtrap, EirhYu.Hsie, nckev, Mark.Frazier, moulass,
roknab, George.Shayne, bfitt, sweiss, hulst, ngreenberg, compo, ghaun,
gerry, fespinosa, eray, mbps, mooned28, vib, rdknslk, atom_k, jwoodwar,
p.hambly, will.pendergrass, ackerman, drp63, pfarmer, ptannura, jsc1,
siohan, jsnook, Andrew.Bailey, rnb, snol461, rcodermatz, portman,
harricher, mmcguire, tmckinney)
Please let me know (email me) if you want to unregister. The latest
version of the program is on:
www.nws.noaa.gov/mdl/NDFD_GRIB2Decoder/ (or www.nws.noaa.gov/mdl/degrib/).
----------- General News.
I just wanted to remind everyone of what Brig. Gen. D. L. Johnson said
> I am pleased to announce that we will add the Temperature, Dew Point,
> and Weather forecast elements to operational status effective March
> 15, 2005. The remaining experimental forecast elements are Sky Cover,
> Quantitative Precipitation Forecast (QPF), Snow Amount, Wind
> Direction, Wind Speed, and Significant Wave Height. Transitioning
> these will present a more significant challenge. We will continue to
> monitor progress to reach an acceptable level of quality for
> additional forecast elements.
----------- News about this release:
I have just finished putting together version "1.65" (last one that I
announced was "1.63" on 11/30/2004).
This release is mainly focused on getting multiple NetCDF messages in
the same file, enhancing the -PntFile option, adding a -Sector option,
improving the -Shp (and -Shp2) options, and enhancing the TDLPack support.
1) Incorporated "jcraig"'s code to put multiple NetCDF messages in the
same file. Did this by creating "-NetCDF 2". "-NetCDF 1" should be
identical to the 1.63 version of degrib.
2) Implemented simple weather code 4. The problem with simple weather
code 3 was that for SW/BS, it had been ignoring BS.
3) Enhanced the PntFile option at the request of "KimW" to have an
optional forth column to specify the output file that a particular point
should go to. Also, at the request of "chrism", degrib now requires
comma separators in the PntFile, so that the point IDs can have spaces
in them. The next step will be to add quotes so one can "escape" commas
in the point IDs.
4) Added a -Sector option which will be useful for figuring out which
sector an arbitrary point falls in. This should help CGI programs
working to create XML messages.
5) Created a "-validMin" and "-validMax" to help detect corrupt files.
For example if a temperature is less than absolute 0, we have a problem.
6) Added -Shp2 option which creates verbose point or small polygon .shp
files. This adds 4 columns i, j, lat, lon. Also enhanced the -Shp and
-Shp2 options to create a .prj file, which should help ArcGIS 8 users.
Essentially the .prj file contains the spheroid used, since I already
"unprojected" the grid when I created the .shp file.
7) Enhanced the TDLPack support by fixing a bug in the reading of
messages, adding icons for the GUI, and enabling it to be saved in
NetCDF. In addition, degrib can now write TDLPack output, if the
original message was TDLPack. Could enhance this to allow one to
convert GRIB to TDLPack.
8) At the request of "John.Lovegrove", added a "%c" (valid cycle) and
"%d" or "%D" (valid day) to the nameStyle convention. The idea being to
allow cron jobs to extract all messages, and not "clutter" the user's disk.
9) Enhanced the -I option to display as much as possible when dealing
with a corrupted file.
10) Updated versions of the NCEP GRIB2 library used, (but need to do
that again), and recommended an upgrade to the library to help detect
corrupt files. In addition I updated Choose_LocalParmTable for HPC Grids.
11) Switched web.tcl to use just stdout, so that the output has the
correct chronological order in cron jobs.
12) Fixed bug found by "chrism" which caused some GFS forecasts given in
12 hour units to be misinterpreted to be in 6 hour units instead.
13) Created a makefile to handle the pure cygwin case.
14) "jcraig" informed me that "SELECT CASE" is not f77 complaint, so I
have gone through some of the FORTRAN GRIB2 code looking for it. Will
look for more.
15) Fixed a handful of minor bugs.
Please let me know if you have problems.