NOAA / NWS's Meteorological Development Laboratory
Degrib (NDFD GRIB2 Decoder)
Subject: Degrib 1.22
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 21:43:16 -0400
Organization: DOC/NOAA/NWS - National Weather Service
You all have the unique distinction of being registered on my degrib
(aka NDFD_GRIB2Decoder) mailing list (all 95 of us)) (I'd
like to welcome: rich, auburnu, d, michaelvkhaut, and gary.manninen)
Please let me know (email me) if you want to unregister.
I just wanted to let you all know that I have just finished putting
together version "1.22" (last one that I announced was "1.21" on
The latest version of the program is on:
This release is basically a bunch of bug fixes (but they are important
1) After it converted a Weather grid, it thought all grids were
weather. This meant that if you generated images for neast, when you
tried to generate images for midatlantic, it tried to treat the
midatlantic maxt grid as if it was a weather grid, and came up with bad
2) Orientation of Polygons has once again been fixed. On 5/30 I decided
that the shape files should start at the lower left (instead of the
upper left). I, unfortunately, did not realize that this would cause
the orientation of the polygons to change.
3) Added an error check if Wx does not have section2. I believe this is
currently the case for PR.
4) Made it so that if the index for weather was not in the given section
2 color table, I return undefined instead of setting it to 0.
5) Matthew T. Kallio, detected a potential seg-fault in the probe
routine, when the lat/lon in question is just outside the GRID.
6) When the entire field was missing values, I still checked if the
missing value was in the max / min range even though max and min were
invalid. This caused me to occasionally add 1 to all the missing values
yielding a field of all 10000 (instead of all 9999).
7) Fixed the menu option for download to do something (It wasn't sure if
it should download via ftp or by http, so it did neither)
8) htmlmaker has been upgraded to be more precise as to which
projections NDFD has provided.
9) The tiles for imageGen have been updated.
10) Changed handling of Dx != Dy from using an average to using a
wrapper around the map projection code.
Note: I am still working on some errors with regards to "-SimpleWx", but
felt that there were enough important bug fixes that I should release
As always, I tested this release on my PC (win 2000), a Linux machine, a
HP-Unix machine, and an AIX-Unix (machine). Although I may have missed
something in my testing, it should at least compile, and run for some of
the test cases. For those of you with access to the NWS NCEP machine,
my current version is in: /nfsuser/g06/we25at/degrib (on snow/frost).
For those with access to MDL's GDP or NHDW machines, see:
In addition I have now added viewing all the images in all sectors to my
list of tests.
Please let me know if you have problems.