NOAA / NWS's Meteorological Development Laboratory
Degrib (NDFD GRIB2 Decoder)
Subject: Degrib 1.67
From: Arthur Taylor
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 12:32:13 -0500
You all have the unique distinction of being registered on my degrib (aka NDFD_GRIB2Decoder) mailing list (all 673 of us) (I'd like to welcome: Eugene.M.Petrescu, julien.choisnard, david.larson, mark_talerico, francesc.verdaguer, kolie, kobiadou, pietrowicz, jetrejos, c_shafer, reynolds, m1000five, clengyel, ocnphys, rganesan, bthoricht, garisti, wade, hwinter, jim.fischer, henry.simmons, tomp, Mike.Squires, gspoden, quelch, charris, mobrien, michael.allard, pamela.quarles, royatsea, kharrell, sbeckwitt, chifan, ediaz) I'd also like to say a special Hello to Chad Shafer who used to work with me at MDL.
Please let me know (email me) if you want to unregister. The latest version of the program is on: www.nws.noaa.gov/mdl/NDFD_GRIB2Decoder/ (or www.nws.noaa.gov/mdl/degrib/).
----------- General News.
As of 1400Z today, Temperature, Dew Point and Weather forecast elements for the CONUS became operational. That means the URL changed from:
for those 3 elements in the CONUS sectors.
To configure tkdegrib to look at the opnl directory first, go to file->configure, select the "Variables" Tab, and highlight "Temperature", "DewPoint Temperature", and "Wx" (hold control key down). Then in the CONUS box select "Operational".
NOTE: If you don't change the configuration, it will continue to look in the "expr" directory. There are some old files there, so it would get the last "expr" files (Before 1400Z) instead of the current "opnl" files.
----------- News about this release:
I have just finished putting together version "1.67" (last one that I announced was "1.67" on 1/28/2005).
This release is mainly focused on setting the Temperature, Dew Point, and Weather to "operational" status, and some bug fixes.
1) Reconfigured Temperature, Dew Point, and Weather to "operational" status.
2) Switched off the "MDL GRIB2" Decoder part of the library in preference for NCEP's GRIB2 decoder library. (More work still needs to be done to optimize.)
3) Fixed a bug with a patch to an old version of NCEP's GRIB2 decoder library. (Need to check if it is in the most recent version).
4) Fixed tkdegrib to not always be set to "Verbose" shapefiles (GIS Tab).
5) Fixed some bugs with TDLPack support (particularly a Big Endian bug, and an issue with one of the packing schemes).
Please let me know if you have problems.