NOAA / NWS's Meteorological Development Laboratory
Degrib (NDFD GRIB2 Decoder)
Subject: Degrib 1.75
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 12:39:58 -0500
You all have the unique distinction of being registered on my degrib
(aka NDFD_GRIB2Decoder) mailing list (all 944 of us). (I'd like to
welcome: shasbarg, ahmetemretekeli1975, michael.allen, ken.pavelle,
venus, dmayley, a.treloar, bfreeland, jancle, acrunya, maik.troemel,
kdahn, roy.peck, eweller, kquayeno, lixu, xmah, kevin.alger,
peter.dituri, jfleroux, j.veneziano, jcbagley, kevin_scasny, trwinikler,
alvator, jwinter, jbing, purcell, fkw, EYTANF, snook, kerry.jones,
Gwyn.Fireman, phyleiliu, Nicolas.Kerspern, ampike, dalmazio.mandich,
normeaglestone, samdanwm, tim.haverland, chandu234u, tat, jason_hicok,
sandro.carniel, calkins.larry, mike_cowboy, d.deriso, David.Billingsley,
I.Senior, jsmokin, jmperezgodoy, martinst, sander,
mvjoybells, hong2da, francois.linteau, wbastin, mnicedude)
Please let me know (email me) if you want to unregister. The latest
version of the program is on www.weather.gov/mdl/degrib/ (or
----------- General News:
Per John Jones 10/28/2005 announcement, and TIN (Technical
Implementation Notices) 05-72, Wind Direction and Wind Speed are
becoming operational today. What that means for you is that for wind
speed and wind direction, the URL changes from:
(similarly for the ftp site) for all the sectors (CONUS and OCONUS). To
reconfigure tcldegrib / tkdegrib, you should do any of: 1) download the
new release, 2) In tkdegrib use "file->configure" to change the status
of those elements, or 3) either edit "c:/ndfd/degrib17/bin/ndfd.ini".
----------- News about this release:
I have just finished putting together version "1.75" (last one that I
announced was "1.74" on 10/31/2005).
This release focused on reconfiguring NDFD variables, getting 64 bit
compliant code, updating web.tcl, and adding better ensemble support
(both with GRIB2 template 4.12, and paying attention to the ensemble
section of the GRIB1 PDS).
1) Reconfigured the ndfd.ini file for Ws/Wd due to TIN 05-72 making them
operational 12/8/2005. In addition, I found out that I had missed TIN
05-55, 05-60, 05-60aaa (see: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/notif.htm#tin)
which stated that Guam's elements (temp, maxt, mint, pop12, dp, wx) had
gone operational on 9/20/2005.
2) Finally got 64 bit compliant code. Have compiled it on the IBM AIX
machine in 64 bit mode, and have tested it against my test suite. Was
unable to test tcldegrib / tkdegrib as tcl/tk was not compiled in 64 bit
mode on the IBM. Was also unable to create a makefile.linux64 as I
don't have access to a 64 bit linux machine (Someone help me out
here?... Use makefile.aix64 and makefile.linux as a template.)
3) Rewrote web.tcl to handle all the NDGD data, and cleaned it up. In
addition, taught it about the NDFD variables apt.bin and rhm.bin. In
addition created a rename convention version 2 to handle some issues
that had come up.
4A) Implemented table 4.12 (NCEP ensemble data is using this table in
GRIB2). During tests on sample sref data, came across multiple SNOL
grids that looked identical. Still investigating what meta data
4B) Adjusted the handling of APCP to tack on the # of hours used in the
accumulation. APCP12, APCP06, etc.
5) Adjusted how tcldegrib/tkdegrib stores the NDGD data:
5a) gfsmos data (/data/ndgd/mosgfs/conus/day1-3/maxt.bin ->
5b) Air Quality data (/data/ndgd/conus/ -> /data/ndgd/aq)
6) Found a minor bug in the NCEP encoder / decoder library that was
treating the limit factor differently in probability template 4.9 than
in probability template 4.5. Have informed the keeper of that library.
7) Changed the behavior of the local use look up code to separate HPC
from NCEP's standard look up. This is because HPC's local use table has
a conflict with the standard NCEP local use table
8) Adjusted GRIB1 code to support meta data (PDS section) of ensemble
messages. See http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/gmb/ens/info/ens_grib.html.
9) Fixed an old bug with tkdegrib, reported by Jack Settelmaier, which
made it unable to browse directories that had files with  in the names.
10) Thanks to Ryan Boyles, found that if someone changes the -Unit
option, it did not overwrite the old NetCDF file. This resulted in
confusion as to what unit was used in the NetCDF file. Have now changed
it so that it makes sure that the chosen -Unit option matches the one
used with the existing NetCDF file. If they match, then it appends the
data, if they don't, it should over-write the old NetCDF file.
11) Updated the subcenters list to reflect that NCEP now has a Space
12) Fixed the -C -Map option (accidentally broke it in 1.74).
Please let me know if you have problems.