NOAA / NWS's Meteorological Development Laboratory
Degrib (NDFD GRIB2 Decoder)
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 18:04:50 -0400
You are amongst the 2,903 people registered on the degrib mailing list.
Please email me if you wish to unregister.
The focus of release 1.87 is to reconfigure the NDFD Wind Gust and to be
able to handle the new encoding details for Probability of Severe
Thunderstorms. (Note: 1.87 was available on 9/20/2007, but I was unable
to email the release notes until now.)
------- General News (see http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/notif.htm#tin):
A) TIN07-58: On 9/20/2007, some of the encoding details changed for
"Total Probability of Severe Thunderstorms" and "Total Probability of
Extreme Severe Thunderstorms".
B) TIN07-56: On 9/20/2007, Wind Gust became operational in the NDFD.
C) TIN07-71: On 10/18/2007, there will be an addition of 12 more climate
outlook probability elements to the NDFD
------- Details about release: 1.87 (last one was 1.86 on 5/31/2007)
1) Modified code to handle the 203,204 -> 215,216 renumbering of Tot.
Prob. Sev. T-Storm, and Tot. Prob. Ext. Sev. T-Storm.
2) Updated Wind Gust to operational.
3) Switched from a makefile.* system to a "configure / make" system for
compilation. For more info, see "/degrib/src/README.config".
4) Adjusted the interpretation of "-Interp". With "-C" it had been
intended as 0="don't interpolate to a coverage grid", 1="interpolate to
a coverage grid using nearest neighbor", 2="interpolate to a coverage
grid using bi-linear". With "-P" it was 0="use nearest neighbor", 1 or
2="use bi-linear". This was confusing, so now a value of 1 with "-P"
means to use nearest neighbor.
5) Added support for gridded MOS elements: qpf06, qpf12, sky, snw24, and
wgust, and now allows custom sector to handle all NDFD elements.
6) Updated to NCEP's latest (as of 9/17/2007) local use tables.
7) When creating GRIB2 from a "cube" file (for custom sectors), fixed an
error when calculating the portion of the file to read. The error only
occurred when it was provided a lower left corner west of the western
most part of the grid.
8) On the GIS tab: Changed the default view from "small" to "list"; the
"list" view now reacts properly to "double click"; and the focus doesn't
change when the cursor moves through the middle list boxes.
9) Added ability to handle time units of month, year, decade, normal
(aka 3 decades), and century.
10) The shapefile's ".dbf" files only allow 11 characters for a column
name, and dislikes the use of ' ', so the code uses the "short" element
name, but now replaces "Prob" with "P" before truncating if it has to,
and it avoids ' '.
11) Enhanced the speed of creation of point shapefiles by not allocating
as much memory.
12) Enhanced the labels for the color ramp in drawshp and added a
lat/lon lattice option.
------- Please let me know if you have problems.