- Effective with the 1800 UTC forecast cycle on October 30, 2001, guidance for the probability of 0.01 inches or more of liquid-equivalent precipitation (PoP) occurring during a 6-,12-, or 24-h period will be added to the
0600/1800 UTC AVN MOS guidance. The 0600/1800 UTC guidance will be available in alphanumeric text bulletins (described in TPB 481) as well as in BUFR format (WMO headers JSMT20-29)
- In the next four to six weeks, we expect to be adding maximum/minimum temperature, surface temperature, dewpoint, probability of thunderstorms, and conditional probability of severe thunderstorms to the
0600/1800 UTC AVN MOS guidance.
- We have added links to the new 0600/1800 UTC alphanumeric messages, in addition to links to our BUFR and GRIB files for all four cycles of the AVN MOS, and the 0000 UTC MRF MOS. All of these new links can be found on our products page at http://www.nws.noaa.gov/tdl/synop/products.htm.
- Updated equations for AVN 0000/1200 UTC wind speed and direction were implemented on
October 16, 2001.
- Updated equations for MRF maximum/minimum temperature, surface temperature, and dewpoint were implemented October 1, 2001.
More details on the new guidance may be found at the following sites:
New MOS Guidance Page: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/tdl/synop/mos2000.htm
Techincal Procedures Bulletin 482: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/tpb/482.htm
Technical Procedures Bulletin 481: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/tpb/481body.htm
Return to MOS Changes Page
Page created October 29, 2001