Frequently Asked Questions
Why should I receive the NWWS feed?
- NWWS is the fastest delivery method available to receive weather forecast and warning products from the National Weather Service (NWS).
- You will receive high priority weather warnings and watches within 10 seconds from the time they are issued by the NWS.
- You can interface the data feed directly to your own telecommunications equipment for dissemination according to your needs.
- The NWWS satellite network is extremely reliable (and is independent of the Internet), with an availability of 99.9%.
- All text-based weather warnings and watches produced by your local NWS Weather Forecast office and several NWS National Centers are available from NWWS.
What steps should I take to obtain the NWWS feed?
Refer to the CSC website (http://www.csc.com/public_sector/ds/27517-nwws
) for information on obtaining the satellite equipment, or connecting to the Open Interface (OI
- You will need appropriate software (such as the Marta Skytap for Weather Wire software) to select and display the data products you want once your NWWS feed is installed.
- Setting up an Internet (OI) feed will take approximately one hour.
- The data will be sent directly to your personal computer via the OI.
- Nlets approved member users can obtain NWWS through their secure Nlets connection.
- This delivery method is even faster than satellite delivery, with product delivery taking about 5 seconds from the time of issuance at your local Weather forecast Office.
Who is available to answer questions about NWWS?
- Please refer to the contacts link on this page (left side).