|Local forecast by
An attempt was made to identify the 33 reported flood deaths by name. The following
is the result of that effort.
New York 9
West Virginia 1
(NOTE -- the names in bold were listed in newspaper articles. Others were not
1. Jean Lepley, 62, Bedford, Pennsylvania -- truck was swept away.
2. Walter McChessney III, 17, Hollidaysburg, Pennsylvania -- swept into
river while riding bicycle, repeated rescue attempts by helicopter and
3. Lois Quarry, 68, Hollidaysburg, Pennsylvania -- flood related stress.
4 & 5. Frank Vincent Kagenski, 77, and his wife Gladys, 75, Trout Run,
Pennsylvania -- vehicle swept away by flood waters on State Route 14.
6 & 7. Robert Barron, 8, New Cumberland, Pennsylvania -- mother and son
driving home? Kimberly Sue Barron, 35, Mifflin, Pennsylvania.
8. John Keck, 68, Landisville, Pennsylvania -- vehicle swept of bridge on
State Route 14.
9. Mary Ann Blair, 38, Cogan Station, Pennsylvania -- mobile home swept
away by flooding.
10. Melvin Trine, 54, Montreoton, Pennsylvania -- died of hypothermia and
asphyxiation due to drowning.
11. Dorothea Williams, 59, Williamsport, Pennsylvania -- hypothermia,
asphyxiation, and shock.
12. James R. Schwegler, 41, Landsdale, Pennsylvania -- swept into
13. Melody Kay Schlaline, 34, Mifflin, Pennsylvania -- left note at her car
saying she would walk home; swept away.
14. William Hackenberger, 38, Mifflin, Pennsylvania.
15. Craig E. Enck, Hampton Township, Pennsylvania.
16-20. The following 5 people died in Delaware County, New York, driving in
one car when a pond dam collapsed.
Donald Cobb Sr., 27
Laurie Cobb, 32
Tyler Cobb, 1
Donald Cobb, 3
Melvin B. Cobb, 23
21. Unidentified person killed in same pond dam collapse, driving a car.
22-25. Four deaths occurred in Culpeper County, Virginia. A car carrying two 14-
year-old and one 15-year-old teenagers, and a 20-year-old adult drove past a
high water barrier late Friday night and were swept away by raging flash
26. A 75-year-old man refused to abandon his home during the evacuation in
Snyder County near Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania. He later attempted to leave
by car and was swept away.
27. A 32-year-old man drove around a barricade in Cumberland County near
Middlesex, Pennsylvania. He abandoned his car in the water and was on foot
when he fell through ice on the flooded roadway.
28. Pennsylvania - unknown.
29-31. New York - unknown
32. West Virginia - unknown
33. Vermont -- unknown.
Return to Table of Contents