Take personal responsibility and prepare long before the threat of a wildland fire so your home is ready in case of a fire:
- Create defensible space by clearing brush away from your home.
- Use fire-resistant landscaping and harden your home with fire-safe construction measures.
- Put together a basic emergency supply kit. Check emergency equipment, such as flashlights and generators.
- Plan escape routes and make sure all those residing within the home know the plan of action.
- Learn more ways to protect yourself, your family and your property
- Before an emergency happens, sit down with your family or close friends and decide how you will get in contact with each other, where you will go, and what you will do in an emergency. Keep a copy of this plan in your emergency supplies kit or another safe place where you can access it in the event of a disaster. Start at the Ready.Gov emergency plan webpage.
- Review your insurance policies to ensure that you have adequate coverage for your home and personal property.
- Understand NWS forecast products, especially the meaning of NWS watches and warnings.