NOUS41 KWBC 101207
Service Change Notice 12-06
National Weather Service Headquarters Washington DC
707 AM EST Fri Feb 10 2012
-Family of Services
-NOAA Weather Wire Service
-Emergency Managers Weather Information Network
Other NWS partners and NWS employees
From: Mary Mullusky
Chief, Hydrologic Services Branch
Subject: Enhancements to Hydrologic Information on the Web
Effective on or before February 29, 2012
Enhancements that are being made to the NWS gateway to hydrologic web resources are or will be available at:
Enhancements that have been recently implemented include the following:
1. Forecast issuance time on hydrographs is shown in bold font,
making it more prominent and easy to see.
2. Text box in the upper left corner of display no longer
overwrites the observed/forecast hydrograph or crest label
3. USGS site number is provided in the NWS RSS feeds/xml files,
4. Up to two notes can be shown below a hydrograph.
5. RSS feeds include the highest forecast value from the entire
available forecast duration, not just the highest forecast
value in the first 48 hours.
6. RSS feeds display flow and flood flow when the primary data
7. Bookmark and Share feature appears on the location-specific
hydrograph web page.
Enhancements that will be implemented by February 29, 2012 include:
1. River/stream locations that are color-coded according to
flood status will be plotted on Google Maps. Users will be
able to zoom, pan, and view this information across different
regions, including NWS WFO Hydrologic Service Areas, NWS River
Forecast Center areas of responsibility,
and water resources regions.
2. Region-specific web pages showing locations whose flood status
is color-coded according to the maximum stage/flow forecast
within 48 hours will now have a slider bar that allows users
to display flood status according to the maximum level
forecasted within 1 to 10 days. The availability of flood
status information will depend on the forecast duration
provided by River Forecast Center guidance.
3. Observed precipitation shapefiles will include metadata fields
for both the valid date and date/time the file was created or
If you have any questions, please contact:
Hydrologic Services Branch
Office of Climate, Water, and Weather Services
National Service Change Notices are online at: