> Home Page > NWS Organization > OCIO > TOC > Switching System > Supporting >
Areas of focus on supporting weather communications switching are:
- Switches hydrometeorological data and products as required to circuits using the WMO Abbreviated Heading as the message identification.
- To function as the data provider and receiver for new
generation systems of the NWS to include AWIPS, NEXRAD,
ASOS, and PROFILER systems in support of NWS field operations of
the future. The NOAAport data streams that provides the AWIPS with data and products is driven from the NWSTG location through an AWIPS Network Control Facility (NCF) which is depicted in the NOAAport program overview.
- To function as a central monitoring facility to measure
the NWSTG performance and its ability to meet the goals of the NWS
in supporting the field offices, other agencies, and international
- To function as the Gateway to all other national and
international meteorological, hydrological, and aviation
- To collect and disseminate warnings, forecasts, and observations to users in a real-time operation. The Gateway directly drives 144 physical/logical links carrying alphanumeric and
binary, graphic, and gridded data.
- To function as the front-end to the National
Centers for Environmental Prediction (NCEP) by collecting information needed to
produce global guidance products and long range forecasts.
- To disseminate large volumes of products to worldwide
users, including the Family of Services (FOS) and the
World Area Forecast System(WAFS), for the aviation
community, the public, commercial users, government agencies.
- Also, the Gateway supports additional distribution systems, including the Interactive Weather Display system which provides information in various offices of the Congress and executive branch
- This Center operates the NWS Headquarters "Homepage" and "anonymous FTP" server services where data and documentation can be accessed via the Internet for meteorological and hydrological services world-wide and for servicing the WMO Global Telecommunication System.