NWS Training Portal
Welcome to the NWS Training Portal! This portal is designed to provide access to all NWS training, including course listings, course descriptions, training schedules, and online materials. Our goal is to provide you with one stop shopping for training! If you have suggestions for improvements, or note any errors, please use the webmasters link at the bottom of the page to share them with the Portal team.
Skillsoft courses are available via the Commerce Learning Center.
News & Announcements
- COMET has published Communicating Climate Change Scenarios With Decision Makers. In this one-hour lecture, presented in three parts, research hydrologist Dr. Holly Hartmann discusses issues and approaches for communicating with decision-makers regarding climate change topics in water management planning. To access this lesson in the Commerce Learning Center, click here. (09/23/16)
- COMET has published Sea Level Change: Datums and Terminology. This lesson addresses how sea level is determined and applied. It starts with a general discussion of datums, then looks more closely at the vertical datums that form the basis of height measurements. Tidal datums are covered including common applications. To access this lesson in the Commerce Learning Center, click here. (09/21/16)
- COMET has published Forecasting Clear Air Turbulence for Aviation. This case-based interactive lesson teaches a process for forecasting clear air turbulence (CAT) and applies it to a case that occurred over the U.S. Information about the synoptic patterns that generate CAT and the products and indices used to identify it are woven in the case. To access this lesson in the Commerce Learning Center, click here. (09/15/16)
- COMET has published Real-time Storm Surge Products. This 30-45 minute lesson describes the real-time storm surge products issued by the National Hurricane Center (NHC) and NWS Weather Forecast Offices during significant tropical cyclone events along the U.S. Atlantic and Gulf coasts. The lesson provides practice in correctly interpreting this real-time storm surge guidance. To access this lesson in the Commerce Learning Center, click here. (07/15/16)
- COMET has published Verification Methods in the NWS National Blend of Global Models (NBM). This less than 30-minute lesson introduces the analysis of record used to verify the NBM, and its superiority to other analyses. Learners will explore single event, grid-to-observation, and grid-to-grid verification methods, as well as how to interpret the results using the NBM Comparative Viewer. To access this lesson in the Commerce Learning Center, click here. A curriculum that groups the four National Blend lessons released by COMET is now available as well. (07/12/16)
- The WDTD has released the FY16 Warnings Operations Course (WOC) Flash Flood Track. This course release leverages the training that NWS forecasters completed in FY15 as part of the WFO Flash Flood Hydrology and Warning Operations Training initiative. Courses completed as part of that curriculum will count toward their FY16 effort. To register your staff for the course, please contact WOC Flash Flood Development Team. (01/12/16)
Page last Modified: Wednesday, June 10, 2015 12:47 PM