NWS Training Portal
Welcome to the NWS Training Portal! This portal is designed to provide access to all NWS training, including course listings, course descriptions, training schedules, and online materials. Our goal is to provide you with one stop shopping for training! If you have suggestions for improvements, or note any errors, please use the webmasters link at the bottom of the page to share them with the Portal team.
Skillsoft courses are available via NWS Learning Center.
News & Announcements
- COMET had published Storm Surge and Datums. This 30-minute lesson provides a brief overview of what a vertical datum is and the types of datums used to observe and forecast storm surge. It also discusses how to interpret storm surge forecasts appropriately using these datums. The intended audience includes forecasters, emergency managers, and others with general interest in tropical cyclone storm surge. To access this lesson in the NWS Learning Center, click here. (04/22/15)
- COMET has published Introduction to Tropical Cyclone Storm Surge. This 30-45 minute lesson provides a brief introduction to the physical processes of storm surge, its impacts, and the vulnerability of U.S. coasts to this hazard. Factors that affect the severity of storm surge, how it is measured, and related data limitations are also discussed. To access this lesson in the NWS Learning Center, click here. (04/08/15)
- COMET has announced the availability of Satellite Water Vapor Interpretation - Short Course. This course consists of five lessons covering 3D Thinking, Vorticity, Deformation Zones, and Conveyor Belts. Each lesson contains forecast-relevant exercises to help users directly apply this knowledge. The NWS Learning Center's COMET Page provides access to the learning plan for this course. (03/12/15)
- COMET has published Marine Weather Services Incident Response and Decision Support. This one-hour lesson provides guidance for forecasters tasked with supporting oil or chemical spills and other marine-focused incidents. The lesson outlines best practices for effective communication, and follows an example spill event to help demonstrate marine forecasters' responsibilities for coordinating with emergency managers, as well as with other NOAA line offices and governmental agencies. To access this lesson in the NWS Learning Center, click here. (03/05/15)
- WDTB has released the AWIPS-2 Thin Client Course in the NWS Learning Center. This short course focuses on the capabilities of the AWIPS-2 Thin Client and to best leverage the Thin Client on limited bandwidth connections for operations and decision support. This course was designed for forecasters at CWSUs, NCDP, RFCs, and WFOs who will provide on-site decision support. (02/18/15)
- COMET has released Microwave Remote Sensing: Land and Ocean Surface Applications, 2nd Edition. This updated lesson reflects changes to the satellite programs and microwave sensing capabilities deployed on recently launched satellites including Suomi NPP, GCOM-W1, GPM, and SMAP, and planned for the upcoming JPSS mission in 2017. To access this lesson in the NWS Learning Center, click here. (02/06/15)
- COMET has published a new 20-minute lesson on the Advanced Himawari Imager (AHI). An overview of the AHI on Japan's Himawari-8 satellite is provided, and its differences from the GOES-R Advanced Baseline Imager (ABI) are highlighted. The lesson also discusses AHI's improved capabilities versus the MTSAT-2 imager, as well as how AHI data and products benefit forecasters in Alaska, Pacific Region, and the CONUS. To access this lesson in the NWS Learning Center, click here. (02/03/15)
- The NWSTC has announced the publication of the Observational Programs Overview Course. This introductory course is open to any NOAA or NWS employee who wishes to learn the importance of NWS observational data and information about each manual observing program. Click here to access this course in the NWS Learn Center. (08/06/14)
- NWSTC has announced the publication of the AWIPS-2 System Admin Deployment Refresher Course. This review course is designed for students who have taken the NWSTC residence course "A2SADEP" and need a refresher of the course material before deployment at their site. Click here to access this course in the LMS. (04/01/14)
Page last Modified: Wednesday, April 15, 2015 9:00 AM