NWS Training Portal
Welcome to the NWS Training Portal! This portal is designed to provide access to all NWS training, including course listings, course descriptions, training schedules, and online materials. Our goal is to provide you with one stop shopping for training! If you have suggestions for improvements, or note any errors, please use the webmasters link at the bottom of the page to share them with the Portal team.
News & Announcements
- COMET has announced the publication of Climatology for the Operational Forecaster. This module introduces the Climate Analysis Process in the context of preparing a climatological brief for a naval ship deployment. Recommendations for assembling a climatological brief tailored to your customer's needs are included. To access this module in the NWS Learning Center, click here. (04/30/13)
- VISIT has announced their schedule of live teletraining sessions through May, which includes a new session on VIIRS Satellite Imagery in AWIPS. The next VISIT Satellite Chat sessions are May 15th. All VISIT teletraining is listed on the Training Events Planning Calendar. (04/25/13)
- COMET has published Introduction to Ensembles: Forecasting Hurricane Sandy. This 1.5-hour module provides an introduction to ensemble forecast systems with an operational case study of Hurricane Sandy. The module concentrates on model ensembles from NCEP and FNMOC. Probabilistic medium to long-range forecasts of winds and waves developed from these ensemble forecast systems are applied to a ship transit and coastal resource protection. To access this module in the NWS Learning Center, click here. (04/19/13)
- COMET has published Advances in Space-Based Nighttime Visible Observation. This one-hour module explores the types of atmospheric and surface features that can be observed at night. It describes the recent technical improvements in nighttime visible imaging with the Suomi VIIRS Day/Night Band, the lunar phases and conditions necessary for effective nighttime visible imaging, and associated operational uses. To access this module in the NWS Learning Center, click here. (04/18/13)
- COMET has announced the publication of Forecasters' Overview of the Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean Sea. This module provides an introduction to the Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean Sea for weather forecasters by describing major aspects of the region's geography, oceanography, and climatology. To access this module in the NWS Learning Center, click here. (04/11/13)
- The NWSTC has announced the cancellation of the following courses: NWR NAUTEL Transmitter - B2401 scheduled for 4/29 - 05/03
CRS Maintenance - B2102 scheduled for 5/15 - 5/22 NWR Crown Transmitter - B1901 scheduled for 06/03 - 06/07
NWR Crown Transmitter - B1901 scheduled for 06/17 - 06/21
NWR Crown Transmitter - B1901 scheduled for 07/29 - 08/02 The last listing (NWR Crown Transmitter - B1901 scheduled for 07/29 - 08/02) is anticipated to be rescheduled in the future. (04/10/13)
- The Hydrology and Marine Professional Development Series (PDS), covering the duties of NWS operational forecasters in these areas, are now active. Available from the Training Portal's PDS Page, these PDS provide a framework for the Hydrology and Marine training programs. The basic idea behind the PDS concept is that individuals or offices with a specific job responsibility can, for each associated job duty, easily find training resources (instructional components or ICs) to help bring their performance of that job duty up to a sufficient level. (04/08/13)
- The WDTB has released six new modules as part of the FY13 updates to the Advanced Warning Operations Course (AWOC), Core and Severe Tracks. Three of the new courses are in the Core Track (Social Science Aspects of Post Mortems and Crisis Communications Modules 1 & 2), which focus on warning decision making and support. The other three new courses are in the Severe Track (Conceptual Models for Supercell Tornadic Storms, Warning Decision Making Issues with Derecho-Producing QLCS Events, and Tornado Warning Guidance 2013), which emphasize the use of new science, technology, and storm-based warning issues. There is a new Learning Plan in the LMS for these new AWOC lessons: WDTB AWOC Courses Update - FY13. For more information on these new lessons, or AWOC in general, please visit: http://www.wdtb.noaa.gov/courses/awoc/. (04/05/13)
- The NWSTC has announced the publication of the AWIPS-2 GFE Focal Point Curriculum, 1st edition. The target audiences for this curriculum are new GFE Focal Points or Focal Points in need of a refresher. Please note that this curriculum is comprised of seven separate courses. You will receive credit for each course separately. You must register for each of the courses separately or be enrolled in a learning plan which contains all seven courses. To locate these modules in the NWS Learning Center, click here. (04/02/13)
- The NWSTC has announced that the AWIPS II System Admin - M18X2 course scheduled for September has been extended to include an additional day based on FRT recommendations. New dates have been posted in both the print and Google calendars and are as follows: 09/10/2013 - 09/26/13. (03/28/13)
- The NWSTC has announced that the NWR Crown Transmitter - B1901 resident course for April has been cancelled. The remaining classes for June have been extended to include the full week. New dates have been posted in both the print and Google calendars and are as follows: June 4-6 is now 3-7; and June 18-20 is now June 17-21.
- COMET has published a new learning object on Pressure Gradient Force, the first in a series of short, self-contained learning objects covering foundational concepts in dynamic meteorology. (03/15/13)
- The NWSTC has announced that the Management and Supervision Resident component for current enrollees of the distance learning course has been postponed to Tuesday, Sep. 10th, 8:00 AM – Thursday, September 19th, 11:30 AM. More details are available on the course Google Site. Additionally, there will be no second offering of Management and Supervision this fiscal year. Both the online and residence portion of the original September class have been cancelled.
- Last week, the NWSTC released a series of six educational videos via the NWSTC Facebook page in support of National Severe Weather Preparedness Week. These videos featured information on our radar, upper air, hydrology, and radio transmitter training efforts as well as information on our new co-located Operational Proving Ground. So far, these videos have received more than 4,000 views. Click here to view these videos and be sure to “Like” the NWSTC Facebook page to receive future updates! (03/11/13)
- COMET has announced the publication of GOES-R ABI: Next Generation Satellite Imaging. This one-hour module focusses on the GOES-R ABI 16-channel imager to be launched this decade. With increased spectral coverage, higher spatial resolution, and more frequent imaging, the ABI will bring significant improvements to forecasting, NWP, and climate and environmental monitoring. To access this module in the NWS Learning Center, click here. (03/01/13)
- The Warning Decision Training Branch has announced the publication of operator training on Radar Data Acquisition Unit (RDA)/Radar Product Generator (RPG) Build 13.1. The training focuses on updates to the RPG dual-polarization algorithms and the Two Dimensional Velocity Dealiasing Algorithm (2D-VDA). Please visit this training's course page for more information on the changes and how to complete the lesson. (01/17/13)
Page last Modified: Friday, January 25, 2013 3:19 PM