NWS Training Portal
Welcome to the NWS Training Portal! This portal is designed to provide access to all NWS training, including course listings, course descriptions, training schedules, and online materials. Our goal is to provide you with one stop shopping for training! If you have suggestions for improvements, or note any errors, please use the webmasters link at the bottom of the page to share them with the Portal team.
Skillsoft courses are available via the Commerce Learning Center.
News & Announcements
- The Forecast Decision Training Division has released Operational Use of the Nearshore Wave Prediction System, Lesson 1: NWPS Basics and Background. This lesson covers the basics and background that are fundamental for effective use of NWPS in operations, including how to run the model and view/interpret the forecast wave output. (02/05/16)
- The Warning Decision Training Division (WDTD) invites you to our February Warning Decision Storm of the Month webinar. This month's session, which begins at 1800 UTC on Wednesday, February 17th, will be presented by forecasters from the Storm Predicition Center and is entitled "SPC Study on Tornadic Supercell Probability and Tornado Intensity Estimation". If you have questions about this webinar, please e-mail the Storm of the Month team. (02/03/16)
- The WDTD has released the FY16 Warnings Operations Course (WOC) Flash Flood Track. This course release leverages the training that NWS forecasters completed in FY15 as part of the WFO Flash Flood Hydrology and Warning Operations Training initiative. Courses completed as part of that curriculum will count toward their FY16 effort. To register your staff for the course, please contact WOC Flash Flood Development Team. (01/12/16)
- COMET has published Gridded Products in the NWS National Blend of Global Models. This new lesson introduces the five different products that will be included in version 1.0 of the National Blend of global Models (NBM). Learners can explore how model guidance from deterministic and ensemble models is produced. The strengths and limitations of interpolation processes are also discussed. To access this lesson in the Commerce Learning Center, click here. (01/07/16)
- COMET has published the Operational Models Encyclopedia, which is a republication of the COMET NWP, Ensemble Forecast System, and Wave Model Matrices in a new format. The Encyclopedia will be a one stop reference for the operational NWP models, ensemble prediction systems, and global and regional wave models, used operationally at NWS WFOs and by private weather services. Content will be upgraded as new models/versions are operationally implemented. (01/05/16)
- COMET has announced the publication of Enroute Icing, which is aimed at NWS aviation forecasters. This 1.5-hour lesson presents a process for forecasting enroute icing and applying it to a case over the Continental U.S. The process involves gaining situational awareness of potential icing areas and making a forecast of their locations and flight levels, comparing to NWP forecasts, and adjusting as needed. To access this lesson in the NWS Commerce Learning Center, click here. (12/07/15)
- Two new distance learning courses are available from COMET covering tropical cyclone forecasting and communication, with one course focusing on storm surge (consisting of 4 lessons) and the other focusing on winds (consisting of 3 lessons). Both courses are available as curricula in the NWS Commerce Learning Center and can be found by searching for "forecasting and communication". (11/23/15)
Page last Modified: Wednesday, June 10, 2015 12:47 PM