NWS Training Portal
Welcome to the NWS Training Portal! This portal is designed to provide access to all NWS training, including course listings, course descriptions, training schedules, and online materials. Our goal is to provide you with one stop shopping for training! If you have suggestions for improvements, or note any errors, please use the webmasters link at the bottom of the page to share them with the Portal team.
Skillsoft courses are available via the Commerce Learning Center.
News & Announcements
- VISIT has announced their schedule of live teletraining sessions through September. All VISIT teletraining is available for registration via the Events Calendar within the NWS Commerce Learning Center.
In addition, VISIT has released the following five new web-based training sessions (all available via Commerce Learning Center):
- 1-minute Visible Satellite Imagery Applications for Severe Thunderstorms
- Tracking the Elevated Mixed Layer with a New GOES-R Water Vapor Band
- Use of VIIRS Imagery for Tropical Cyclone Forecasting
- NOAA/CIMSS ProbSevere Product
- NUCAPS Soundings in AWIPS (08/21/15)
- COMET has published Using Scatterometer Wind and Altimeter Wave Estimates in Marine Forecasting. This one-hour lesson describes the basics of scatterometers and altimeters, including how they work, what they measure, and how scatterometer wind and altimeter wave height estimates are derived. It then discusses some of the challenges in using the estimates, such as dealing with ambiguities and rain contamination. Numerous opportunities to interpret the data are provided, both in the main section and the case studies. To access this lesson in the NWS Commerce Learning Center, click here. (08/19/15)
- COMET has published Introduction to Meteorological Charting. This 30-45 minute lesson offers an introduction to surface and upper air observations, and how these data are presented on meteorological charts. Using examples from both the Northern and Southern Hemispheres, the lesson examines how basic charts and analyses can reveal the locations of major weather features. To access this lesson in the NWS Commerce Learning Center, click here. (07/30/15)
- COMET has published Use of Probabilistic Surge Guidance in Local Storm Surge Forecasting. This 45-60 minute lesson introduces forecasters to the probabilistic storm surge guidance used by the National Weather Service to assess local surge threat and impacts. It will provide practice in determining the chance that critical surge thresholds may be reached or exceeded and when this is most likely to occur. Developing a public message that includes important potential surge values, threats, and impacts information will also be explored. To access this lesson in the NWS Commerce Learning Center, click here. (07/29/15)
- COMET has published Determining the Onset and Risk of Tropical Cyclone Winds. This 40-minute lesson introduces forecasters to the probabilistic guidance products used by the National Hurricane Center to assess tropical cyclone wind threats. It provides an overview of how these probabilistic wind speed products are created, their purposes, and how to interpret them. The lesson also provides practice in determining the total risk and timing for location-specific peak wind events. To access this lesson in the NWS Commerce Learning Center, click here. (07/10/15)
- COMET has announced the publication of Understanding Marine Customers, 2nd Edition. This 60-75 minute lesson introduces the variety of marine forecast customers and discusses what forecast information they need to know and why. The intended audience for this lesson is operational forecasters new to the task of producing a marine forecast. To access this lesson in the NWS Commerce Learning Center, click here. (07/07/15)
- The WDTD introduces the new course, "Incorporating Dual-Pol HPE/Bias HPE into Flash Flood Decision Making." This lesson discusses recent enhancements to HPE and Bias HPE precipitation mosaics used with FFMP. This 30 minute lesson is available in the NWS Learning Center. (06/25/15)
- COMET has announced the publication of Assessing NWP with Water Vapour Imagery. This 1-1.5 hour long lesson examines the relationship between model data and water vapor imagery to help you assess the validity of model forecasts. To access this lesson in the NWS Commerce Learning Center, click here. (05/29/15)
- COMET has published Forecasting Tropical Cyclone Storm Surge. This 45-minute lesson introduces forecasters to the various probabilistic guidance used by the National Hurricane Center to forecast storm surge. It provides an overview of how these probabilistic surge products are created, their purposes, and why they are preferred to deterministic-only style guidance for specific events. The lesson also provides practice in correctly interpreting probabilistic storm surge guidance at various phases of an event. To access this lesson in the NWS Commerce Learning Center, click here. (05/26/15)
- WDTB has released the AWIPS-2 Thin Client Course in the NWS Learning Center. This short course focuses on the capabilities of the AWIPS-2 Thin Client and to best leverage the Thin Client on limited bandwidth connections for operations and decision support. This course was designed for forecasters at CWSUs, NCDP, RFCs, and WFOs who will provide on-site decision support. (02/18/15)
- The NWSTC has announced the publication of the Observational Programs Overview Course. This introductory course is open to any NOAA or NWS employee who wishes to learn the importance of NWS observational data and information about each manual observing program. Click here to access this course in the NWS Learn Center. (08/06/14)
- NWSTC has announced the publication of the AWIPS-2 System Admin Deployment Refresher Course. This review course is designed for students who have taken the NWSTC residence course "A2SADEP" and need a refresher of the course material before deployment at their site. Click here to access this course in the LMS. (04/01/14)
Page last Modified: Wednesday, June 10, 2015 12:47 PM