NWS Training Portal
Welcome to the NWS Training Portal! This portal is designed to provide access to all NWS training, including course listings, course descriptions, training schedules, and online materials. Our goal is to provide you with one stop shopping for training! If you have suggestions for improvements, or note any errors, please use the webmasters link at the bottom of the page to share them with the Portal team.
Skillsoft courses are available via the Commerce Learning Center.
News & Announcements
- COMET has published Short-Range Ensemble Forecast (SREF) Upgrade. This 20-minute lesson presents improvements made in the SREF to address insufficient ensemble spread, and a cool/wet near-surface bias. Impacts of the SREF upgrade are evaluated in the context of a potential winter storm in December 2014. To access this lesson in the Commerce Learning Center, click here. (04/26/16)
- COMET has published Forecasting Sensible Weather from Water Vapour Imagery. This ~1 hour lesson covers how to make short-term forecasts of synoptic systems by comparing water vapor and surface analyses. To access this lesson in the Commerce Learning Center, click here. (04/22/16)
- The Decision Support and Communications Services Division has released the AWIPS-2 WHFS Focal Point HydroBase course. This course is for WHFS Focal Points at WFOs and covers use of the Hydrology Database Manager program, a.k.a. HydroBase, in AWIPS-2. HydroBase is used to update, correct, or add station metadata; create new or test stations, and configure specific settings for programs that interact with the database, including Alert and Alarm Limits, Quality Control Limits, RiverPro, HydroGen, Hydro Time Series, and others. Keeping data current in the hydro database is a key function of Hydro Program Managers. (04/22/16)
- COMET has published Communicating Forecast Uncertainty. This ~1 hour lesson introduces how to communicate forecast uncertainty to decision makers via scenarios in which learners construct forecast discussions using deterministic and probabilistic information, then evaluate the discussions from the perspectives of different end users. To access this lesson in the Commerce Learning Center, click here. (04/20/16)
- COMET has published HiresW HREF Upgrade. This 20-minute lesson presents upgraded versions of the two NWP models (the WRF-ARW and NMMB) that make up the High Resolution Window (HiresW). The WRF-ARW and NMMB became part of a new High Resolution Ensemble Forecast (HREF) system in 2015. The intended audience includes forecasters with severe weather forecast responsibility, and other users of deterministic and probabilistic high resolution NWP products. To access this lesson in the Commerce Learning Center, click here. (04/13/16)
- FDTD has released a new lesson that introduces the AWIPS-2 Sea Surface Current Product, derived from a coastal network of high frequency (HF) Radars. To access this lesson in the Commerce Learning Center, click here. (04/11/16)
- COMET has published JPSS River Ice and Flooding Products. This one-hour lesson introduces hydrologists, meteorologists, and the education community to new JPSS (Joint Polar Satellite System) capabilities for monitoring river ice and flooding. Several cases are included that demonstrate the use and value of these satellite products. To access this lesson in the Commerce Learning Center, click here. (04/08/16)
- COMET has published Best Practices in Tropical Cyclone Briefings. This 30-45 minute lesson focuses on how to best support NWS partners through creating and delivering clear, concise and effective meteorological briefings during tropical cyclone events. This lesson is included in the 2016 Tropical Curricula now available in the Commerce Learning Center (CLC). For direct access the lesson in the CLC, click here. (04/05/16)
- The Leadership Academy has released the Appropriations Overview. This course is part of a series of courses covering National Weather Service Governance and restructuring created to help ensure a smoother transition into the new governance model. The goal of this course is to ensure that you are able to use the ARM and new PPAs to make consistent and correct cost assignment decisions for all financial transactions. (03/31/16)
- The Decision Support and Communications Services Division has released the Broadcast Message Handler (BMH) Transition User Course. This course provides the knowledge and skills needed for a user to operate the new BMH system. This includes creating voice and text products, monitoring the Broadcast Cycle, and general use of the BMH system to send messages to NWRs successfully.
- The Decision Support and Communications Services Division has released the Broadcast MessageHandler (BMH) Transition Focal Point Course. This course provides the knowledge and skills needed by the BMH Focal Point to use and maintain the new BMH system. This includes copying and importing legacy files into BMH, converting dictionaries, and general use of the BMH system to send messages to NWRs successfully.
- COMET has published Climate and Water Resources Management, Part 1: Climate Variability and Change. This lesson describes the terminology, global evidence, regional manifestations, and basic science of climate variability and anthropogenic change, with a focus on water resources management. To access this lesson in the Commerce Learning Center, click here. (03/09/16)
- The Forecast Decision Training Division has released Operational Use of the Nearshore Wave Prediction System, Lesson 1: NWPS Basics and Background. This lesson covers the basics and background that are fundamental for effective use of NWPS in operations, including how to run the model and view/interpret the forecast wave output. (02/05/16)
- The WDTD has released the FY16 Warnings Operations Course (WOC) Flash Flood Track. This course release leverages the training that NWS forecasters completed in FY15 as part of the WFO Flash Flood Hydrology and Warning Operations Training initiative. Courses completed as part of that curriculum will count toward their FY16 effort. To register your staff for the course, please contact WOC Flash Flood Development Team. (01/12/16)
Page last Modified: Wednesday, June 10, 2015 12:47 PM