Marine Professional Development Series
- PCU 4: Interpret Marine Data, and Provide Marine Products
Producer: Christine Schultz (NCEP/OPC)
Description of Job Competency to be Achieved:
Marine weather forecasters at coastal and Great Lakes Weather Forecast Offices and National Centers must understand the suite of NWS marine data, products and services. Forecasters will learn how marine data is measured and collected and how important it is to monitor marine conditions. Awareness of how the NWS marine products and services are tailored to specific criteria and disseminated will ensure the forecasts are appropriately delivered to the maritime community.
- Core Instructional Components (Core Instructional Components develop the most important skills needed by NWS marine forecasters and form a solid foundation of training.)
- IC from Skill 1.2 [CORE for all]: Describe how remotely-sensed wind and wave data compliments other available marine observational data (e.g. buoy, ship, and land-based stations). [TRAINING] "Microwave Remote Sensing: Overview, 2nd Edition" (Section: "Polar Orbiting Satellites and Microwave Data") (COMET Module)
- Ability 1. Understand and apply marine weather observations to marine analysis and forecasting.
- Skill 1.1. Access and understand marine weather data from buoys and C-MAN stations (wind, wave, and other significant marine weather conditions).
- Skill 1.3. Understand satellite altimetry and how the data can be applied to marine meteorology and oceanography.
- Ability 2. Understand Individual Product Definitions
- Skill 2.1. Classify Routinely Issued WFO, OPC, and NHC Products.
- Skill 2.2. Outline the differences between coastal waters, offshore, and high seas forecasts.
- Skill 2.4. Identify non-routinely issued products and the circumstances when they would be issued.
- Skill 2.6. Become Familiar with types of custom products, such as HAZMAT/OR&R Response and Spot Forecasts.
- Ability 3. Comprehending the Dissemination Network.
- Skill 3.2. Comprehend the role of medium and high frequency (MF/HF) radio and the relationship with the USCG.
- Skill 3.4. Understand the importance of Safety Net, its association with GMDSS, and role in message dissemination.
- Skill 3.7. Explore the utility of the internet and other developing technologies (e.g. mobile devices) in the role of dissemination.
Page last Modified: Thursday, April 3, 2014 12:47 PM